I have always believed in giving back to the community. The reason I do this is in gratitude for the many blessings that have come my way.
On the other hand, as a business owner, I believe we are lucky to have a bigger platform to work with, namely our business/company; and consequently, the possibility to make a greater impact in the community.
When I ran SOLE 2 SOLE, my old retail business, it was great fun to create in-store events that supported a cause or attend an event as a team.
Now as a solopreneur with a small virtual team, I participate through global funding platforms that support a good cause.
Some of the causes and brands you see here are:
- The School Pocket Money Fund through Zonta, a project led by the Singapore Council of Women’s Organisations (SCWO) that helps provide pocket money for school children from underprivileged families;
- Project Happy Feet, a non-profit organisation that helps to empower the lives of underprivileged youths and children across Asia through education-related activities;
- Mother and Child – a non-profit organisation that provides humanitarian aid for the homeless;
- United Women Singapore through the Glamourous Giving events which we participated in every year;
- Emi and Eve, a social enterprise company that produces jewelry from recycled bomb shells and casings;
- Kiva.Org, a global funding platform that supports entrepreneurs from developing nations
Currently, these are the two organisations that I donate to and you might want to consider them. They are funding platforms that will allow you to choose whom the cause/recipient(s) will be:
So why not give back to the community?
Whether in your personal capacity or as a company, you’ll be able to:
- Make a positive impact
- Build goodwill and reputation
- Strengthen your relationships with customers
- Support local economic growth
- Attract new customers